Thursday, February 17, 2011

The aging season and looking ahead

I can tell winter's aging when I read weather forecasts that feature such goodies as "...showers beginning by...", "...periods of rain..." and "...temperatures rising to...". That means three things to me.

Firstly, it means that ski season is over - well, for me anyway. I finished this year with 60.4 kilometres to my credit, the last 5 having been especially magnificent. I ended my season on a high note (read: properly waxed skis on established trails under ideal weather conditions and with Adam) so that cannot be a bad thing.

Secondly, it means that we are now in that in-between period when we can't ski, where I wouldn't dare to try any kind of skating (I'm beyond terrible at it), and yet it's still too cold and damp to take out the catrikes. Besides, until the road salt is washed away, we don't take our trikes out. Salt destroys. Period.

Finally, it means that the catriking season is approaching. The catriking season here in Ottawa typically runs from about mid-March to early November which is about 8 months in duration.

I am working out on what my triking goals for this year are. Most notably for me is that I intend on doing 100 kilometres in a single trip. I did 80 back on July 2nd, 2010 (there are certain moments in one's life one never forgets!) and did not require medical intervention. I just have to work out a route that avoids as much automobile traffic as possible but I don't imagine that'll be too difficult to manage.

Another triking goal for me is to travel from our house to the Rockcliffe airport for the annual Canada Day fly-in breakfast and tall stories event. Usually, the weather keeps a lot of light airplane pilots away but enough people show up to make the trip worthwhile. Like my 100k goal, I will stay off roads as much as possible. Unlike my hypothetical 100k jaunt, we have actually ridden from our place to Rockcliffe airport travelling mostly along pathways. On July 1st, Prince William and Kate Middleton - newly wed - will be in town on Canada Day. If the weather is good, the already horrendously crowded downtown will be even thicker with royal watchers and other monarchists. This may bode well for us as we, unobtrusive as two catrikes can be, trickle our way along pathways.

We only need the salty slushy puddles to be cleared up and the sunshine to emerge...

-Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment